Saturday, September 6, 2014

Depression and Manna

Exodus 16:18-21a: "And when they measured it by the omer, the one who gathered much did not have too much, and the one who gathered little did not have too little. Everyone had gathered just as much as they needed. Then Moses said to them, 'No one is to keep any of it until morning.' However, some of them paid no attention to Moses; they kept part of it until morning, but it was full of maggots and began to smell. So Moses was angry with them. Each morning everyone gathered as much as they needed."
To say I am going through a rough season of life would be an understatement. As many of you know, I struggle with depression, and let me tell you, it has been so hard lately. I have at many times felt so alone. This past summer, I moved home, and I loved being with my family, but it was hands-down the hardest summer of my life. I didn't have any friends in Ann Arbor since my family moved after I graduated high school. I was missing Zeke like crazy as well as all my other friends from NCU. As I have now moved back to North Central, it has continued to be a difficult season of my life. I still miss Zeke since he is out in Cali changing the world, and I have been incredibly overwhelmed with what this last semester brings. My depression is still haunting me and oftentimes, it feels like I can't make it through the day.
God has been bringing me through the Old Testament lately, and I have found myself relating a lot to the Israelites. Many times, with depression, I feel so lost and it feels as if all of my effort is just having me go in circles. God has been teaching me a lot through the Israelites about seeking Him even when it gets hard and remembering what He has done for me in the past. Today, I read this verse (above) and I realized it is exactly what God has been speaking to me lately.
With depression, every day is a fight at times. It can get hard to get out of bed in the morning and it can get hard to make it through each day. As God teaches me to lean on Him alone, I am reminded to daily ask Him for the strength to make it through the day. That is my manna. And so many times, I get ahead of myself and think, "If I can barely make it through today, how in the world am I supposed to make it through tomorrow?" But then God reminds me that I only need enough for today. That is so hard, but it is so rewarding. It is so humbling to have a God that can give me enough each day and I just need to trust Him and stop trying to take it into my own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment