Monday, August 25, 2014

20 Things I Learned When I Was 20

I somehow keep forgetting that tomorrow is my birthday, but alas, here I am, with two more hours of being twenty years old, and I take the time to reflect on where God has brought me this year. I am so thankful for all the blessings that twenty brought me, even though it was a very difficult year in very many ways. Anyway, here's twenty of the many things I've learned this past year:


  1. Sometimes, you relapse. It's okay. Keep trying.
  2. If you want a relationship to work, you have to fight for it.
  3. You must fight for community. You sometimes need to take a while away from people. Learn to distinguish between the two. Don't let fear keep you from loving people.
  4. Get a job that you love; one that makes you feel like you're not even working. Do that for the rest of your life.
  5. Sometimes you'll be the only person that cares. Keep caring.
  6. There comes a time in your life when you have to face your fears. When that fails, climb on the table with your roommate, scream, and call your boyfriend. Buy mouse traps the next day and try again.
  7. God is not a feeling.
  8. It is 100% okay to feel differently than everyone else in the room. Form your own opinions.
  9. Driving stick shift sucks. Learn anyway.
  10. Best friends are hard to find. When you find one, hold them close.
  11. Plan your meals out before going grocery shopping or you might end up spending $50 on snacks.
  12. Manage your money well.
  13. Don't be afraid to love yourself. Self-care is essential.
  14. Impromptu dance parties are good. Impromptu dance parties in the middle of finals week are great.
  15. Going to counseling is hard. Go anyway.
  16. If you don't work through the things that have happened to you in the past, you will never move forward.
  17. Middle schoolers have an insane amount of energy. I'm getting old.
  18. You are more blessed than you realize.
  19. You may find friends where you once had enemies.
  20. Life is hard. Keep trying, keep trying, keep trying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment