Monday, March 26, 2012

No Complaints

I complain a lot. I'm pretty sure that about 70% of the things that I say are complaints, if not more. I don't know why I complain so much, I just do. It fills the time. It seems like the only thing to say sometimes. It's not like I have a horrible life. I love my life. I am so blessed. But I still complain, a lot.

Yesterday, out of the blue, I decided that today I would not complain at all. I dragged two of my friends along with me on my adventure of not complaining so I had some moral support and people to keep me accountable when I started complaining.

I realized I complain a lot more than I thought. Before today, I didn't realize how much I complain. And it's about useless things, too. I say I'm tired a lot. And really, who cares? We're in college. We're all tired, and me sitting here complaining about my lack of sleep isn't helping that fact. I also complain in my mind a lot. Most of the things I have to think are complaints about something. And even though I took the time today to try hard to make sure those things didn't leave my mouth, I still thought them a lot. As I was on my way to my Global Perspectives class this morning grumbling in my mind about how cold it was outside, I asked God to help me take my complaints and turn them to praises. I began to think of how awesome God is every time I wanted to complain about something, and let me tell you, it really changed my whole day. I had a much better attitude because instead of wasting time thinking about all the little things that are wrong in my life, I took the time to thank God for all the big things that are right in my life.

As I was in the prayer room talking with God today, I looked up verses about complaining and found Phillipians 2:14 :
"Do everything without complaining or arguing."
 And I thought to myself, Do everything without complaining or arguing, Elyse. Everything. Not just today. Every day of your life. Do your homework without complaining. Write your papers without complaining. Walk in the cold without complaining. Clean your room without complaining. Serve others without complaining. Study without complaining. Pull all-nighters without complaining. Be tired without complaining. Don't just not complain when things are good, but also when things are not so good. Do every single thing without complaining.


It's not easy. Today was difficult and I did screw up, but I've read that 21 days makes a habit. So for the next 21 days, I am going to try my hardest to not complain. I am going to instead praise God for the things I have. I am going to be thankful and mindful of Him instead of wasting time complaining in my head. I'm going to do it, and I'm going to watch God change me from the inside out and it's going to be wonderful.

I encourage you guys to do the same. And hold me accountable. When I start complaining about the fact that I have to get up for my 7:45 class, remind me of my commitment to God. I'm going to need people to do that for me. I just want to encourage you guys to remember that everything you do reflects Christ, and I'm not saying this from some holy high-horse, because trust me, I screw up all the time, but I think that if we, as a body of Christ, committed ourselves more to thinking and talking about God's blessings instead of complaining about the small stuff, we could see God change a lot of lives and do a lot of really incredible things.

1 comment:

  1. I love you. You inspire me :) You are a blessing to your Mom and Dad. Love you baby girl.

    ReplyDelete