Thursday, February 2, 2012

Identity Crisis

Miller Hall Challenge Week continues, and so does the work of God in my life. God has been speaking so many things to me recently and it has been so incredible to see the way He is moving mountains in my life. Today's challenge is to wear no make up and to cover up all the mirrors and to just focus on how God sees you. The first part wasn't hard for me, since I can't really even remember the last time I wore make up on a regular day that had no special occasion. I thought the second part would be pretty easy too, but I have found it's actually a challenge to have no idea how I look right now and to just hope it's not horrible. As I got ready today it was foreign to me to not look at myself in the mirror. Even on the mission trips I have gone on when I was at my absolute worst in the way I looked, I at least knew I looked horrible. I think the scary part is not knowing.
All of this being afraid of not knowing how I look has gotten me thinking about how it correlates with what God has been speaking to me in this past week. He has really been showing me what I am to Him. I doubt myself a lot. I forget who I am. I forget that I was bought by the blood of Jesus Christ. I forget that I am a daughter of the living God. I forget that I was created intricately, that God wrote my every day before I even came to be. I forget these things and I feel as if I am worthless, caught up in my sin and my failures. I forget my identity.
God has been showing me who I am. He has been showing me how He sent His Son to die for me and He would do it over and over again, He has been showing me that He has this incredible plan for me, that there are people out there somewhere in the world that are waiting for me to come and tell them about Jesus. There are people's lives that depend on mine. I am His daughter, and no matter how many times I fall short, He will love me the same. He will pick me up and fix me. He is cheering me on. He is fighting for me. I do not need to be perfect, because He is perfect. I don't need to be completely whole, because I was created to know His love and to be made whole by Him alone. I am of infinite worth in His arms. I am a world-changer and a life-saver and an impact on this world. I am not a mistake.
I don't need to search for my identity in anything but Him. I don't need to be identified by anything but Jesus Christ, by the fact that I am a daughter of God.
It has been such an incredible week and hearing God tell me these things is exactly what I needed. I think that a lot of times we forget who we are and we need to look to God to remind us. My prayer for us today is that we would find our identity in God alone, that we wouldn't search in anything else to tell us who we are.
And to all the Miller Hall girls participating in our challenge today, I just want to encourage you all by letting you know that you are so beautiful and wonderful and I am so proud of you for doing this. It may be the hardest thing you have ever done, but I just pray that God would show you the things he has been showing me lately and that it would all be worth it. I hope you feel beautiful today.

1 comment: