Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Reflections on My First Semester

Right now, I feel the greatest sense of accomplishment I have ever felt in my life. I feel, at this moment, more proud of myself than I ever have been. As I was walking back home today after my last class, I felt more accomplished than when I walked across the stage at graduation or when I went on a mission trip for two whole months or when I got second place in the nation for my essay. I am so proud of myself because I have finally completed my first semester of college.

Yes, it's true. The never-ending pile of homework, classes, finals, papers, exams and quizzes has finally come to an end. As of 9:00 this morning, I was officially completely done with my first semester of college.

This semester has been, by far, three of the hardest months of my life. Coming here was the hardest thing I have ever done. I walked away from the only world I ever knew to come to a place where nobody knew my name. I left behind all my friends and family to chase after a dream God had given me years ago. It wasn't easy. It was a transition that consisted of a lot of tears and a lot of days where I would just sit in the prayer room asking God why He would ever think bringing me here was a good idea. It took a lot of work to transition into a life where I had to actually make an effort to make friends and do well in school. Life was so easy for me pre-NCU; I never had to do homework and making friends came naturally to me. Here at NCU, neither of those things were true. It was a slow process and it took a lot of effort, and some days, it still takes more effort, but I'm getting there.

These past three months have also been the best months of my life. I have changed so much in my time here at NCU. I have grown so much closer to God and have experienced and learned things I never imagined doing or learning. I made friends with some of the most incredible people I have ever met; friendships that I'm sure will last throughout my life. I have had so much fun. I have made memories that I will never forget. I have laughed harder than I have ever laughed before. I have found joy in the Lord, even when my days were bad. I've learned a lot about myself. I've learned that I am always going to be a work in progress. I'm not perfect, and I'm learning to be okay with that. I'm an introvert in more ways than I thought. I grew up a lot. I had to do a lot of "grown up" things this semester. I am not the same person today as I was when I walked into these doors for the first time.

The second day of this semester, I wrote a letter to myself to open on the last day of this semester, and I'd love to share it with you guys, so here it is:

Dear Second Semester Elyse,
As you write this, you have been 18 for three days now and today is your second day at NCU. You have a lot of mixed feelings. You know without a doubt that this is where God wants you, but this is a brand new experience for you. You miss people back home and are really lost and worried. You're terrified.
I hope that changes. I believe it will. I believe you will do wonderful things with God and you will not be the same person reading this that is writing this. This is where you belong. Your dreams are finally coming true and you're taking a step of faith into what God has for you. I am so proud of you. God is going to do great things in and through you.

Goals
  1. Grow closer to God.
  2. Feel more at home.
  3. Make friends.
  4. Open up; get out of your shell.
  5. Trust God more.
This is going to be a great year. God has wonderful things in store for you.
Sincerely, 
First Semester Elyse

I am proud to say I accomplished all of my goals and more in these past few months. God has worked in me in incredible ways and I am so glad to have had this experience. I never thought I'd say this, but I don't want it to be over. I am glad for the break from school work that I will have, but I'm not really sure if I'm ready to move on from this semester into the next one. I don't know if I'm ready to go spend a month at home and transition into the next stage of life. But I know everything will be okay, because it's all a part of this incredible journey that God has me on and I'm just along for the ride. He has been faithful and good to me so far, He will continue to do so.

So today, I am proud. I am ready to see what else God has for me. I am thankful for these past few months, however difficult they have been. I am thankful for the people God has placed in my life at this time and for the people back in Michigan that will be welcoming me back. I am thankful for this new home, for this school, and for the fact that I am a new person today. I am reflecting back on what God has done for me, but yet looking forward to what else He is going to do.

To all my fellow NCU students, we did it! We finally made it through the horrors of finals week and all the weeks before it. This may have been the best semester of your life, it may have been the worst. If it's been the best, look forward to how God is going to make it even better next semester and be thankful for the times you've had. If it's been the worst, tomorrow brings the hope of a fresh start. I hope you all have a fantastic break, get rested up, continue to seek God, and come back ready to tackle next semester and finish the year out strong.

God bless you guys.

1 comment:

  1. This is so encouraging. I am even so proud of you, Elyse. Your big heart shows in all you do! God bless YOU. Have a wonderful break, lovely.

    ReplyDelete